United Way of South Texas funds over 100 programs through 21 Partner Agencies and six Community Impact Grant recipients. United Way of South Texas' mission is "To improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community to advance the common good." 85% of the dollars raised by United Way of South Texas are invested in programs to keep youth in school, to encourage healthy lifestyles by increasing physical activity and improving nutritional choices, and to offer families information on financial literacy. Balancing work in these three areas, while continuing to handle immediate basic needs, is critical to moving families forward.
United Way of South Texas saves the community thousands of dollars by consolidating fund raising efforts, providing a clear form of accountability, and investing in a diverse group of local non-profits. Every organization is looking to maximize its investments and time commitments. By giving through one agency (United Way of South Texas) you can impact hundreds of thousands of residents here at home in Hidalgo and Starr Counties of Texas.
The United Way of South Texas can help you plan and implement your United Way campaign in your company. This will help your employees learn about the benefits of United Way programs and, at the same time, provide them an opportunity to give back. 100% Of Your United Way of South Texas gift remains in Hidalgo & Starr Counties.
Past/Current programs include:
- VITA/EITC (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program)
- Transportation Vouchers can be used for medical appointments, prescription pick-ups, job interviews, and emergency transportation to work.
- Familywize provides pharmacy discount cards to over 45 non-profit, federal and state entities.
- Back-to-School Shopping Spree pairs representatives from local businesses, school districts, cities, etc. with middle school students to shop for much-needed school attire and school supplies.
- Day of Caring organizes volunteer activities.
- Education Council matches volunteers with school districts to assist with dropout recovery programs.
- Latina Hope Program works with economically disadvantaged minority women in Hidalgo County to learn crafts and financial literacy concepts so that they can pursue home-based, part-time entrepreneurial ventures.
Join the United Way Movement!